Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) With Levulan® is a special treatment performed with a topical photosensitizing agent called Levulan®. The procedure combines light and a special light-activated topical photosensitizing agent called Levulan®.
How Many Treatments will it take to see the “Best Results”?
A series of three Levulan® PDT treatments 1-4 weeks apart is the most effective. More treatments can be done at periodic intervals in the future to maintain the rejuvenated appearance of the skin. If there is a flareup, w would treat that immediately.
What are the disadvantages?
Following PDT, the treated areas can appear red with some peeling for 2-7 days. If you don’t avoid the sun in the first 24h, you may have an exuberant response to PDT, and experience marked redness of your skin. Repeat treatments may be necessary as PDT medicine is not an exact science.
What are the advantages of Levulan® PDT?
- Easier: the side effects are minimal, rapid healing, and only 2-3 treatments are required.
- The ALA/PDT treatment at our clinic is painless.
- Reduced acne scarring and an improved cosmetic outcome like smaller pores, improved texture, and decreased oily sensation of the skin.
- Levulan® improves the whole facial area treated creating all one color, texture, and tone. Levulan®/PDT is great because it’s:
- Well-tolerated (essentially painless)
- Easily performed in a specialty clinic environment
- Non-invasive (no needles or surgery required)
- Excellent cosmetic outcome (particularly in cosmetic sensitive areas of the face)
Before the Levulan® PDT procedure make sure:
Patients who have a history of recurring cold sores (Herpes simplex type I) should start oral Valtrex 500 mg tablets, two tablets twice daily for three days – starting this prescription the morning of your PDT treatment. We can give you a prescription If you need one.
Make sure your skin is clean and free of all makeup, moisturizers, and sunscreens. Bring a hat, sunglasses, and scarf when appropriate to the clinic.
- Photography will be done by the staff before the Levulan® is applied.
- You must sign a consent form.
- An acetone scrub is performed. This will enhance the absorption of the Levulan® and give a much more even uptake. We might even do microdermabrasion to enhance absorption.
*Individual Results may vary and no guarantees can be made.
**Results may vary. Unless noted otherwise, testimonials provided are patients of Tucson Cosmetics who have undergone completed treatment(s.) Before and after images reflect real results from real patients, although individual results may vary. Statements estimating treatment duration and the amount of treatments required are based on the typical experience of patients of Tucson Cosmetics, however, duration and amount of treatments needed may vary per client. A guarantee is neither provided nor implied.